Pro Consumers Association (PCA) aims to promote a healthy lifestyle and to draw attention to young people about the existence of the market of energy drinks that are high in sugar and artificial preservatives.
In this regard, they analyzed 41 energy drinks that are sold in the market and found these harmful substances:
– Citric acid. E330 –
citric acid, acidity regulator, is an organic compound, crystalline, colorless, belonging to the class of carboxyl acids and is used as an acidifying. Can cause abdominal pain and attack the tooth enamel.
– Sodium citrate. E331
– citrates sodium (sodium salts of citric acid) are used as agents for adjusting the acidity of the food as antioxidants, preservatives or flavors, side effects such as nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps and muscle, allergic reactions, numbness of extremities, fatigue, abnormal heart rhythms, seizures, dizziness, shortness of breath, etc.
– Caramel sulphite ammonia (ammonia caramel). E150c
– Ammonia caramel brown dye obtained by burning sugar in the presence of ammonia. It is likely to trigger allergies. It also destroys vitamin B6 in the body.
– Artificial preservatives. Sodium benzoate present in 32% of analyzed product is a synthetic preservative, reaction with ascorbic acid generates benzene, carcinogenic toxic substance. Following a study conducted on 200 types of juice by the FDA (Federal Trade Commission – USA) in 2005, 10 of them identified content of benzene between 7 and 89 ppm (parts per million), the maximum limit in drinking water is 5 ppm. Following this finding, large processors of soft drinks in the US have decided not to use this preservative. Sodium benzoate can cause allergic reactions, hyperactivity and inattention in children (ADHD).
– Acesulfame K. E950 –
acesulfame potassium, it is an artificial sweetener that causes allergic reactions, headaches, nausea, vomiting, heart palpitations, memory loss and fatigue.
– Aspartame. E951 is an artificial sweetener that can cause allergic reactions, muscle spasms, heart palpitations and loss of memory.
– Trisodium citrate. E331 is an acidity regulator that can cause problems with the muscles (spasms and uncontrolled and painful contractions) and Digestive problems (diarrhea).
– Sodium carbonate or magnesium carbonate, as very hazardous to health;
– Brilliant Blue FCF.
Synthetic dyes (Brilliant Blue FCF, ammonium sulfite caramel and quinoline yellow) can cause allergic reactions, chromosomal changes, breathing disorders, dermatitis and have potential carcinogen.
– Cyclamate. E952 – sodium cyclamate is an artificial sweetener that has a sweetening power 30 times greater than sugar. This additive is not authorized in the US because of studies showing possible carcinogenic effects.
– Sucralose. E 955 – sweetener Sucralose is a synthetic chemical that has a sweetening power 600 times greater than sugar, twice higher than saccharin and four times higher than that of aspartame. The composition of a substance called sucralose no chlorine, which is found in the composition of DDT-type pesticides, disinfectants and various plastics. Given this, the researchers put their troubling questions about the safety of this additive. Chlorine molecules decreases fertility and neurotoxic effects.
Sucralose affects the thymus, the organ that is responsible for the immune system. High consumption of sucralose leads to panic attacks, agitation, muscle aches. Synthetic sweeteners have a sweetness that can be up to 600 times greater than sugar. They can trigger a range of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, Graves’ disease, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, diabetes, and depression.
– Saccharin. E954 – Saccharin is an artificial sweetener that is 200-700 times sweeter than sugar. E954 is often used in combination with other sweeteners to hide their flaws (taste, stability, etc.). It is used very often in combination with cyclamate and aspartame in products “light”.
– Phosphoric acid. E338 is an acidifying that causes loss of calcium from bones and lead to problems while medical condition known as osteoporosis.
– Propylene glycol alginate. E405
is a thickening agent that can cause allergic reactions.
As you can see, a lot of energy drinks have harmful effects on the human body, so it is better to avoid them for our good.